Have you ever tried to read a whole lot of text in one go and having battled your way through it failed to remember what you have read? I have, it was a book that I found really boring. I discovered a method that helped me and I am prepared to share it with you.
Take each paragraph in turn
- Read the first sentence and the last sentence only. If the sentences are long then just the main clause – usually the first bit. (Try and guess what the paragraph is about)
- Skim read the paragraph and write down any keywords you find on a separate piece of paper, it is best if you don’t put them in any order.
- Look at these words and do a bit of a spider diagram with them linking ideas. (Still thinking what the paragraph might be about)
- Read the paragraph word by word.
- Ask yourself a simple question like “What was that all about?”
With a bit of practice you might find that you can miss some steps out.